A new department born from the findings of the Argus Review, this department has ultimate responsibility for the performance of Australian teams. Comprising of players, coaches, selectors and support staff, this team works to deliver the best systems and structures to ensure performance success on the field.
The Team Performance department includes our Brisbane based Centre of Excellence (COE), which was launched in 2004 and replaced the Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy that had been based in Adelaide for fifteen years. Whilst the CB Cricket Academy operated effectively for this period of time a review recommended that the COE operate with a broader vision which was to include the following four components:
- Player Development Unit
- Sport Science Sport Medicine Unit
- Information and Resource Centre
- Coaching , Umpiring, Administration and Curator Development
- The above has been implemented in a phased approach with the current focus being on the Player Development Unit and Sport Science and Medicine Unit. The plans to develop the information and resource centre are in discussion and close links have been formed with the Education and Training Unit and Umpire Unit regarding providing a service to these programs.
With both the men’s and women’s team holding the # 1 ODI rankings, it is important that during this time of great success Australian Cricket strives for continual improvement and innovation to ensure this position as world leader is maintained.
CA’s success is measured in part, by the rankings of our National Teams. To thrive at the elite level, there is increasing importance on Australian teams to continue to be successful, but there must also be a process that keeps replenishing talent at the top end. Programs are structured to keep advancing the pathways to Australian representation whilst:
1. Attracting and developing high performance cricketers through strong talent identification at the state/territory level,
2. Ensuring that the Centre of Excellence supports the ongoing needs of elite players.
Among its various operations, the CA Centre of Excellence conducts:
- Australian Institute of Sport programs (males and females)
- National specialist programs
- Services the needs of Australian teams
- CA sport science sport medicine program
- Camps based programs for elite international and domestic players including indigenous and East Asia Pacific high performance camps
- Emerging Players Tournament
The COE is located at Allan Border field in Brisbane at Queensland Cricket (QC) headquarters utilising facilities including:
- Playing and training fields
- Turf and synthetic practice nets
- Recovery plunge pools
- Weight training room
- Dressing rooms
- Players lounge
- IT room
- Office facilities
Two key partnerships have provided the framework for the COE to achieve its vision:
- Australian Institute of Sport
- Queensland Cricket
Additional partners include:
- Brisbane Grammar School
- University of Queensland