Cricket Australia has today confirmed that Shane Watson has been ruled out of the first Vodafone Test against South Africa due to a calf strain.
Australian coach Mickey Arthur has advised that in-form Victorian batsman Rob Quiney will take Watson’s spot in the squad for the first Vodafone Test in Brisbane.
“Rob over the last couple of seasons has been prolific, he’s probably been the standout domestic player,” Arthur said.
“Rob at this stage will just slot straight into three.”
“We did an assessment this morning and we have ruled him [Watson] out and are hoping that he will play unrestricted in the second test in Adelaide,” Arthur said.
Quiney said he was looking forward to the challenge of representing Australia.
“It’s unbelievable news, I’m stoked,” Quiney said. “I really like batting at the GABBA, I think it’s a great batting wicket.
“I’ve endeavoured to continue making runs, I’ve never given up,” he added.
Arthur said although Watson presence in the team would be missed, the team had performed well without him in the past.
“Last year we won 4-0 against India and Shane Watson wasn’t a part of that.”
The injury-plagued Watson injured his calf while bowling for New South Wales against Queensland last week.
The first test starts on Friday at the GABBA in Brisbane. Tickets are still available and can be purchased on www.cricket.com.au/tickets
The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Cricket Australia
First Posted 05 November, 2012 2:01PM AEST