Cricket Australia Items/news/2013/1/30/voges-delivers-big-win-for-wa

Voges delivers big win for WA

UPDATED 06 February, 2013 10:13AM AEST | by Carly Adno 8

An inspired knock by Adam Voges guided WA to a 111-run win over NSW in their Ryobi Cup clash, their first one-day victory over the Blues at the SCG in 17 years.

After being sent in to bat by NSW captain Stephen O'Keefe, the Warriors skipper hit an unbeaten 77 to guide his team to their total of 7-266.

Set 267 for victory, the task was too great for the home side, who stuttered to 155 all out in reply.
Nathan Coulter-Nile (1-31) struck early for WA, having Scott Henry (three) caught at second slip by Shaun Marsh in the third over of the home side's chase.
It was a good delivery by Coulter-Nile, who showed plenty of aggression up front.
Shane Watson's return didn't last long as he was out caught and bowled by WA's young debutant Joel Paris (1-35) for just six runs through a full, in-swinging delivery that Watson could only hit straight back to Paris.
Wickets continued to fall and David Dawson was next, edging a good ball by Michael Hogan (3-29) behind to Marsh, who took a superb, flying catch at slip.
Sensible batting from Steven Smith and Nic Maddinson, who was a late addition to the side after Brad Haddin withdrew, steadied the innings for the home side.
But the hard work was undone when Smith (30) skied a Hogan delivery to Voges.
It was a massive breakthrough for the Warriors and couldn't have come at a worse time for the Blues, who were doing well to recover from their rocky start.
Maddinson followed Smith back to the dressing-room the very next over after he was trapped LBW by debutant Ashton Agar (2-43) for 22 with the score on 5-69.
Peter Nevill and captain Stephen O'Keefe then started to rebuild the innings, the two bringing up NSW's hundred in the 30th over.
But the partnership was broken when Nevill was run out for 20 and O'Keefe soon followed after he was caught by Paris for 34.
The last few wickets fell for a handful of runs as the Blues' chase ended well short.
Earlier, O'Keefe decided he wasn't sure how the wicket would play given the amount of rain around Sydney over the last few days and opted to have a bowl after winning the toss.
It looked a good decision when the dangerous Shaun Marsh was the first wicket to fall, run out for just seven by Steve Smith.
Marsh slipped attempting a run that probably wasn't on and was caught a long way out of his crease.
Liam Davis and Sam Whiteman then took control for the Warriors, before Gurinder Sandhu (3-64) broke up their budding partnership.
The Blues debutant picked up his first wicket in the 23rd over of the innings, trapping Davis LBW for a well-played 39.
But NSW failed to take regular wickets, the Warriors losing their third in the 39th over after Whiteman and Voges formed another good partnership.
Sandhu earned his second when Whiteman mistimed his shot over square leg and Maddinson took a good catch.
It was the end of Whiteman's commanding knock of 74 off 103 balls and at that stage WA were 3-179.
Voges then seized control, taking full advantage of some below-par bowling.
Again, it took a long time for NSW to find their next wicket, but Doug Bollinger (2-42) struck twice, picking up two wickets in two balls.
Hussey (30) was the first to fall, bowled after taking a big swing while John Rogers (0) got a leading edge to Maddinson at point.
Two wickets fell in the last over - Hilton Cartwright and Coulter-Nile - but Voges was there to the end to set NSW a target of 267 to win.

The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Cricket Australia

First Posted 30 January, 2013 9:55PM AEST

Commercial Partners