Cricket Australia Items/news/2013/3/25/tasmania-have-hard-yards-ahead

Tasmania have hard yards ahead

UPDATED 25 March, 2013 10:08AM AEST | by Stu Warren 2

After taking three Queensland wickets on another good day for Tasmania, pace bowler Evan Gulbis did his part to help the Tigers towards a third Sheffield Shield but insisted there's 'still a lot of hard work to be done' before they can claim victory.

"We're in a great position but there's two days to go and if we don't play good cricket we can be beaten from here," he said.

"There's still a lot of work to be done and I'm sure all the boys are recovering now and preparing themselves for two hard days of cricket."

The Bulls batsmen struggled to deal with a sluggish Blundstone Arena pitch and reached stumps at 7-185, still 234 runs in arrears of Tasmania's first-up total of 419 and facing a hefty first-innings deficit.

While Gulbis wouldn't second guess captain George Bailey's intentions, it seems unlikely the Tigers would enforce the follow on if they clean up the Bulls' tail quickly on Monday.

"We always try to win the game so that's what we're doing right now," he said.

"If that means we bat for a long period and leave them a few overs to get as many runs as possible, well that's the best chance for us to win the game."

Having come to the crease late on Saturday afternoon when Greg Moller was dismissed first ball of the Queensland innings, Peter Forrest played a lone hand in the Bulls top order by grafting his way to 56 before falling LBW to Gulbis.

His wicket, along with the calamitous run out of Chris Hartley during the final session, put the Bulls firmly behind the eight ball – but Forrest insisted there was still fight in the Queensland camp despite their current predicament.

"Queensland spirit is to keep fighting," said Forrest.

"We'll go and have a few XXXXs and try and figure out a way we can still win the game."

"I'm sure you'll see us positive and upbeat tomorrow and come out, try to attack the game and find a way to win.

The Bulls were particularly frustrated by a two-hour rain break on Sunday, the long delay a result of a brief downpour – and, potentially, a late call by umpires to bring on the covers.

"You could see the weather coming in for a couple of overs before that," Forrest said.

"A few of the boys said it looked like the world was going to end it was that dark and we were still out there trying to play cricket."

"I think the umpires probably should have had us off a bit earlier than that."

"I thought they'd be able to see it. It wasn't rocket science, there was plenty of rain coming in. I think if they had their time again they'd have had us off a bit earlier, but what can you do?"

The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Cricket Australia

First Posted 25 March, 2013 10:05AM AEST

Commercial Partners