Cricket Australia

http://www.cricket.com.au/Global Items/news/2013/7/30/aussie-greats-back-odi-cricket

Aussie greats back ODI cricket

UPDATED 30 July, 2013 5:46PM AEDT | by NZN

Batting great Mike Hussey has spoken passionately about the future of 50-over cricket, which will face a crucial challenge during the 2015 World Cup to be hosted by Australia and New Zealand.

Cricket's governing body the ICC announced in Melbourne on Tuesday that the MCG would stage the day-night final of the tournament on March 29.

Australia's first game is a day-night clash at the MCG with England on February 14. The tournament will open earlier that day with New Zealand's game against Sri Lanka in Christchurch.

The semi-finals will be played at Auckland's Eden Park on March 24 and at the Sydney Cricket Ground on March 26.

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and former stars including Dennis Lillee, Ian Chappell, Adam Gilchrist and India's Kapil Dev attended the launch at Melbourne's Docklands.

QUICK SINGLE: ICC World Cup 2015 details announced

"I personally don't (think ODI cricket is in trouble)," 2007 World Cup winner Hussey told reporters.

"It's still very, very popular with all the crowds around the world and, from a playing point of view, I really love the game.

"It caters for so many different types of players whereas, in T20 sometimes, if you're not batting in the top three, you might not get much of a bat.

"Fifty-over cricket caters for spin bowlers, allrounders, power players, guys who work the ball, run hard between the wickets, fast bowlers."

WACA president Lillee is confident the tournament will attract big crowds.

"To have it in Australia is phenomenal for the Australian people," Lillee said.

"You'll have great turnouts. Twenty20 is fantastic but I think the one-day World Cup is still a great event."

The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Cricket Australia

First Posted 30 July, 2013 4:35PM AEDT

Tags: Australia

Commercial Partners