Australia's new captain Steve Smith is disappointed he won't be able to lead the side in Bangladesh, but is convinced the setback won't compromise their preparation for the upcoming home series against New Zealand.
Smith's comments come as the Bangladesh Cricket Board repeated its belief that the country was secure enough to host the Australian team.
This month's scheduled two-Test tour of Bangladesh was postponed late on Thursday due to safety concerns.
The Test players have returned to their respective states and will participate in the Matador BBQ One-Day Cup in Sydney, starting on Monday.
Quick Single: Test squad set for two-day camp
Smith said he felt for the cricket community in Bangladesh but had no qualms about the decision made by Cricket Australia.
"Obviously the safety and security of the players is the biggest concern," Smith said on Friday morning.
"Cricket Australia has worked really closely with DFAT and ASIO over the last week or so and have come to the conclusion that it's not safe enough for us to travel at this time."
Smith's position was supported by the Australian Cricketers Association, with chief executive Alastair Nicholson saying the potential risks outweighed the desire of the team to tour.
James Sutherland explains decision to postpone tour
"The decision by Cricket Australia (CA) to postpone the tour is the correct one in these difficult circumstances, particularly from a player safety and welfare point of view," Nicholson said in a statement.
"From the players’ point of view, they fully support the decision that’s been made, however, they were looking forward to facing off against a challenging Bangladesh side playing on their home turf.
"The circumstances that led to the decision to postpone the tour are bigger than the game of cricket, and it’s important to view the issue in this context. Where there are elements that are beyond our control – as there are in this case – the importance of player safety is brought sharply into focus, and this is absolutely paramount."
Quick Single: Bangladesh decision not without precedent
In a statement released early on Friday, the Bangladesh Cricket Board said they disagreed with Cricket Australia's position that their country was a security risk.
"The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is disappointed at the decision of Cricket Australia (CA) to postpone the Test series in Bangladesh on ‘security’ grounds," the statement read.
"The BCB does not agree with the view that Bangladesh is at the moment unsafe for hosting the series against Australia. On the contrary, the Board is of the opinion that Bangladesh at present offers one of the safest environments for holding international sporting events including cricket.
"The Board is committed to rescheduling the series at a later date and will continue to work closely with CA to that end."
BCB president Nazmul Hassan during the World Cup this year // Getty