Advertisement

Aussies, Kiwis in the dark over IPL team bans

The Australians and New Zealand players and officials caught up in Chennai and Rajasthan suspensions

Former New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming hopes he and affected players will be looked after following the two-year suspension handed to two Indian Premier League teams.

Fleming is long-standing coach of the Chennai Super Kings, one of two teams banned from the lucrative Twenty20 league after their owners were found guilty of betting on games.

Australians Steve Smith, Shane Watson, James Faulkner and Ben Cutting were contracted to Rajasthan Royals this year, as was South Australia quick Kane Richardson who pulled out before the tournament started, alongside New Zealand seamer Tim Southee.

Sydney Thunder captain and former Australian Test star Mike Hussey had rejoined the Chennai Super Kings this year alongside Western Australia quick Andrew Tye and New Zealand's captain Brendon McCullum and pace bowler Matt Henry.

Chennai Super Kings - and Melbourne Stars - coach Stephen Fleming // BCCI

Fleming is concerned the two teams will go the same way as three other teams who have been booted out of the competition for breaching IPL terms – the Kochi Tuskers Korala (in 2011), Deccan Chargers (2012) and Pune Warriors (2013).

"Some players are still waiting for money so I don't think the BCCI (Indian cricket board) will let the happen again," Fleming told NewstalkZB.

"And I'd like to think that our franchise has been very good to players and wouldn't let that happen.

"What you'd like to see is the players get a fair deal, get paid for what they've done and then have an opportunity moving forward."

Fleming says the suspensions recommended by the India Supreme Court on Tuesday and swiftly acted on caught him by surprise.

He read media reports of the bans rather than be told by Super Kings management and had only had a chance to speak briefly to them since.

"No one really had any idea and I think that's why there is shock around the severity of the punishment because I don't think the franchises were preparing themselves to be suspended," he said.

"Fines were the major things they were talking about."

Australia's Test vice-captain Steve Smith, writing for cricket.com.au, said he was disappointed his franchise had been suspended and would now reconsider whether to seek a new club – and likely big-money deal – for next year's tournament.

"It was disappointing to hear about the Rajasthan Royals facing two years of being sidelined from Indian Premier League and I’m sure I’ll hear more about what’s going on there in coming weeks," Smith wrote.

"I really enjoyed my time playing with Rajasthan, it’s been a good franchise to be involved with so I’ve got some decisions to make whether I go back into the IPL auction next year or have a little period off.

"So I guess that’s a decision I’ll have to look at in the coming months.

"But I’m not going to be thinking about that right now. There’s a lot more urgent things going on, starting at Lord’s later today."

Ben Cutting reacted with incredulity on Twitter, claiming the suspension was "surely a gee up".  

Tye also was in the dark, and posted on twitter that he had "no idea at this stage" what the Chennai suspension meant for his IPL deal.

Click above to learn more about how to stream the Ashes and more cricket