Advertisement

Lynn signs 'biggest deal in BBL history'

Big Bash fan-favourite signs monster deal, committing to Brisbane club for the next five seasons

The Brisbane Heat have given Chris Lynn a huge show of faith after re-signing the six-hitting sensation to what they've labelled the biggest contact in KFC Big Bash League history.

Lynn, one of the most sought-after T20 players on the planet, has committed to the Heat on a lucrative five-year deal that will run until the 2021-22 season.

While other players have previously signed five-year BBL contracts, Lynn's is believed to be the biggest money deal ever penned in the competition's six-season history, reportedly worth more than $1m.

The Heat have also confirmed head coach Dan Vettori and assistant Shane Bond accepted two-year contract extensions.

Lynn is currently recovering from shoulder surgery and is targeting a return for the upcoming BBL season, with the Heat to open their campaign against Melbourne Stars on December 20.

Watch all of Lynn's record-breaking sixes

"I've had some good reports from the surgeon and the Queensland Cricket medical staff and we're working to the recovery plan. It is feeling okay now, although there is still a way to go," he said.

The 27-year-old also says he's looking forward to resuming his devastating partnership with partner-in-crime Brendon McCullum.

"I'm honoured that the Heat have shown confidence in me for the coming seasons and given us the opportunity to achieve something special as a club in the future," Lynn said.

"To be in the same side as a legend like Brendon McCullum and enjoy some success along the way made it even more memorable.

"The fact we have locked-up Dan and Shane and a good proportion of our squad for the next few years bodes well for the future."

"The Heat has evolved into a club for all Queensland fans and we're determined to make a success of the opportunity we have ahead of us. It was one of the best experiences of my career to play in front of five sold-out home crowds at the Gabba."

The right-hander does not current hold either a state or a national contract after Queensland announced he was not offered a deal for the 2017-18 season. It's understood the decision was made with Lynn's input and approval.

Lynn has been named the player of the tournament for the last two BBLs, with his remarkably clean striking propelling into Australia's one-day international squad for the Champions Trophy earlier this year.

January: Lynn, Stanlake receive Aussie ODI caps

That was despite him dislocating his shoulder during the Indian Premier League in April, and the Heat originally indicated his latest surgery could result in seven months on the sidelines which would put him in doubt for the coming BBL season.

Lynn has suffered three serious shoulder injuries over the past two years and has previously stated he may need to stop diving in the field in order to prolong his career.

Speaking to News Ltd earlier this year, Lynn said his most recent decision to go under the knife was made with an eye on the longer term in a bid to put the shoulder worries behind him.

"Longevity was why I took that option to have the operation," he said. "It's a short-term loss for a long-term gain.

"They (career ending) are words you don't want to hear but they are down that path.

"I've got to be more cautious and have more smarts about how I go about things.

"I am zero or 100 but there are times I have to reel it back and get another 10 years out of my career. We'll see how smart I am in the next 12 months."