Hastings reveals shock retirement | cricket.com.au

Advertisement

Hastings reveals shock retirement

Victorian quick set to focus solely on T20 after calling time on first-class and one-day career

Fast bowler John Hastings has announced his retirement from first-class and one-day formats with the Victorian confirming a succession of grueling injuries have taken their toll.

Hastings, who played one Test for Australia in 2012 and has thrived in international limited-overs formats, will ply his trade solely in Twenty20 cricket.

The 31-year-old was expected to miss the early stages of the JLT One-Day Cup after suffering a back injury in Melbourne last month, but Hastings said the latest setback was the final straw.

"Trying to get back after four shoulder reconstructions, four major ankle operations and a major knee operation has just worn me down," Hastings told cricket.com.au.

"The body is just giving up and every time I try to load back to get back to four-day cricket or one-day cricket, it seems as if something else goes.

"It was a tough decision, one that wasn't made lightly, but I've decided to give the two longer formats away and focus on T20.

Hastings will captain the Melbourne Stars for BBL|07 // Getty
Hastings will captain the Melbourne Stars for BBL|07 // Getty

"I've had a tough run with injuries lately but I've still thoroughly enjoyed every moment with the Victorian boys over the years," Hastings added.

"I also want to thank everyone involved over my Victorian journey who helped me become the cricketer I am today. Everyone has been amazing every step of the way.

"I've still got a bit left in the tank though, and I can't wait to get back on the park with the Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash."

The right-armer, originally from Penrith in Sydney's west, played 29 ODIs and nine T20 internationals in the green and gold and had his best year in the 50-over game last year.

In 2016 Hastings was the world's leading ODI fast bowler after snaring 29 wickets in 15 matches, the equal second-most dismissals alongside South Africa's Imran Tahir and behind teammate Adam Zampa.

Duke decisive with career-best haul

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland descibred Hastings as a "brilliant" competitor.

"John has been a great servant of Australian cricket, and a player who worked extremely hard to be the best he could be, both at national and domestic level, and we congratulate him on his achievements," Mr Sutherland.

"He was a brilliant competitor particularly in limited-overs cricket for Australia, and a smart cricketer who with bat and ball was always in the game and looking to play his role helping Australia and the Victoria Bushrangers achieve success on the field."

"While it is unfortunate that we will see less of John in action, we wish him the best of luck in his role as captain of the Melbourne Stars for this summer's KFC Big Bash League and the future ahead."

In August, the 31-year-old was announced as the captain of the Melbourne Stars, whose KFC Big Bash League campaign kicks off on December 20 against the Heat in Brisbane.

Hastings played 75 first-class games in a career spanning 11 seasons, starting in 2007 with Victoria against the touring Indians at Junction Oval.

While that match was dramatically affected by rain, Hastings played 41 more matches for the Bushrangers, collected 138 wickets at 24.75 and celebrated a JLT Sheffield Shield final win in 2009-10.

The towering quick played just the one Test – against South Africa in Perth in Ricky Ponting's final match in the Baggy Green – and dismissed Proteas champion AB de Villiers with a perfect outswinger to claim his maiden Test wicket.

However, it was in the white-ball formats where Hastings has found the most success.

Cricket Victoria General Manager of Cricket Shaun Graf said Hastings will be missed in Victorian cricket, both for his impact on the field and character amongst the playing group.

"Hastings, or 'the Duke' as he was affectionately known to us, has made a big impact on Victorian cricket in his 11 years with us," said Graf.

"It's unfortunate that such a great player and character has been brought down by injury, as he deserved a proper farewell from the Bushrangers who he has given so much to.

"We wish John all the best his future endeavours," said Graf.