Williamson, Latham survive close calls

23 September 2016

NZ pair both have a nervous moment as the Black Caps grab the upper hand in the first Test against India

New Zealand pair Kane Williamson and Tom Latham have both survived a nervous moment as the tourists moved into a strong position in the first Test against India.

After losing Martin Guptill early in their reply to India's first innings of 318, Latham and skipper Williamson rebuilt the innings before two contentious moments in the space of five overs.

Quick Single - New Zealand take day one honours in Kanpur

With the score at 1-102, Williamson played forward to a delivery from Ravichandran Ashwin that leapt off the pitch and struck him on the helmet before bouncing onto the leg side.

In his effort to see where the ball finished, Williamson turned his head and the Stem Guard attached to the back of his helmet - having been shaken loose by the initial blow - completely dislodged and hit the base of the stumps.

Williamson had his stem guard removed in the motion of his shot


The bails stayed in place as play continued but, if they had been dislodged, the umpires would have had to determine whether the batsmen was out.

However, as Williamson had completed his shot, it's unlikely that the umpires would have determined the ball was in play and Williamson would have survived. 

According the Law 23.1 (b) of the Laws of Cricket, "the ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler’s end umpire that the fielding side and both batsmen at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play".

Law 23.2 continues "whether the ball is finally settled or not is a matter for the umpire alone to decide".

While Umpires Richard Kettleborough and Rod Tucker weren't forced to make a decision on that occasion, they were called on a short time later when India appealed for a catch at short leg off Latham.

The ball makes contact with Rahul's helmet // Getty Images
The ball makes contact with Rahul's helmet


Facing Ravindra Jadeja, the left-handed Latham attempted a sweep shot and bottom edged the ball onto his boot before it bounced up and finished in the hands of KL Rahul at short leg.

India appealed and the on-field umpires called on the Third Umpire Anil Chaudhary to review the footage, which showed the ball had bounced off part of Rahul's helmet before finishing in his hands.

Chaudhary rightfully ruled Latham not out as the ball had made contact with the grille of Rahul's helmet.

Top Stories


Pujara, Henry star on tense day one in Kolkata

Matador Cup preview: Cricket Australia XI

Short could prove crucial for Warriors

Voges keen for more runs this summer