Narine withdrawn from Windies squad | cricket.com.au

Advertisement

SN

Narine withdrawn from Windies squad

Lloyd blasts officials for throwing crackdown

West Indies have withdrawn spinner Sunil Narine from their squad for this month's tour of India after he was suspended for an illegal bowling action in the Oppo Champions League Twenty20.

Narine has been banned from representing Kolkata Knight Riders in tonight's CLT20 final after tournament officials declared his bowling action to be illegal.

Quick Single: Narine ineligible for CLT20 final

While Narine has not been suspended by the International Cricket Council and is free to play in the upcoming T20, ODI and Test series against India, Windies officials have made a pre-emptive decision to withdraw him from the squad.

Chairman of selectors Clive Lloyd said the West Indies Cricket Board had been told that Narine's action would come under heavy scrutiny if he played in the matches against India, this first of which is on Monday.

"Before we came here we were told that they were going to call Narine (for throwing), so it's quite obvious that something must have been said somewhere," Lloyd said.

"I really can't tell you that (who it was) but I can tell you it's a highly reliable source, because we have to make contingency plans for things like that just in case it happens."

Lloyd expressed his frustration at the timing of the ICC's crackdown on suspect bowling actions, which has seen three bowlers suspended and three others reported since June.

Echoing the comments of Pakistan coach Waqar Younis, who questioned the timing of the suspension handed down to star spinner Saeed Ajmal, Lloyd said the increased focus on Narine has severely hampered the West Indies' preparations for the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup.

"I am not happy, I would like to strongly say that," Lloyd said.

"He has been bowling over the years with the same sort of action. Now all of a sudden it has changed. What has changed, I don't know.

"You can't just ban him from bowling just before an important tour like this (against India) and with the World Cup coming up.

"It destroys the individual's ability as such and I think you may end up destroying someone's career.

"This guy has been doing well playing for (Kolkata Knight Riders) for the last three years.

"If you look at his action, he has been doing pretty much the same and I want to know what is it that has been found that they ban him and not say something like, 'Listen, you have a bit of a problem and you have to rectify it.'

"All of a sudden, this guy who is supposed to be one of the best bowlers around - like Ajmal for that matter, how many Test wickets does Ajmal have? - and all of a sudden his bowling action is suspect.

"My point is something should be done before all this comes to this point.

"It can destroy a team.

"You want to know if this is being orchestrated because if you lose your main bowler then it puts some pressure on the selectors and the team and so on.

"I am very disappointed because he is an exciting cricketer.

"The point is, just like (Muthiah) Muralidaran, because your action is different, doesn't mean that you are throwing."

Lloyd has also criticised Champions League officials, who banned Narine after he was reported for a second time in the tournament.

Quick Single: Narine placed on CLT20 warning list

Under the CLT20 Suspected Illegal Bowling Action policy, bowlers will be suspended from all matches and competitions organised by the BBCI if they are reported twice by match officials.

Lahore Lions captain Mohammad Hafeez and Dolphins bowler Prenelan Subrayen were both placed on a warning list during the tournament after being reported once by the umpires, but were not suspended.

Lloyd said he and the West Indies Cricket Board had received little explanation from CLT20 officials.

"Nobody has told us anything. Nobody has written a letter," Lloyd said.

"That is the thing about it. Something should be said to us. We are left high and dry.

"All of a sudden, the guy is not playing in a tournament he has played for the last three years.

"What are you then saying about the tournament then? Are you saying that the tournament has probably previously allowed people who have got bad actions to play?"

Suspect actions in the news since June

3 June: Sri Lanka off-spinner Sachithra Senanayake is reported for a suspected illegal bowling action and ordered to undergo testing within 21 days.

22 June: New Zealand off-spinner Kane Williamson is reported for a suspected illegal bowling action and ordered to undergo testing within 21 days.

28 June: The ICC Cricket Committee meets in Melbourne and recommends an increased focus on bowlers with questionable actions.

12 July: Senanayake is banned from bowling by the ICC after undergoing official testing in Cardiff.

23 July: Williamson is banned from bowling by the ICC after undergoing official testing in Cardiff.

11 August: Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal is reported for a suspected illegal bowling action and ordered to undergo testing within 21 days.

15 August: The ICC confirms three newly accredited testing centres will be unveiled in the coming months.

22 August: Zimbabwe off-spinner Prosper Utseya is reported for a suspected illegal bowling action and ordered to undergo testing within 21 days.

25 August: Bangladesh off-spinner Sohag Gazi is reported for a suspected illegal bowling action and ordered to undergo testing within 21 days.

25 August: Ajmal begins official testing at Cricket Australia's National Cricket Centre in Brisbane.

9 September: Ajmal banned with immediate effect by ICC. Pakistan Cricket Board say they will weigh up their options, while Ajmal says a medical condition is to blame and he remains confident of playing in the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup.

10 September: Bangladesh fast bowler Al-Amin Hossain is reported for a suspected illegal bowling action and ordered to undergo testing within 21 days.

13 September: PCB release details of ICC report that show Ajmal was found to be straightening arm nearly three times the legal limit.

26 September: PCB suspend 16 domestic cricketers with suspect bowling actions.

28 September: Oppo CLT20 match officials report Lahore Lions captain Mohammad Hafeez and Dolphins bowler Prenelan Subrayan for suspect bowling actions.

30 September: Oppo CLT20 match officials report Kolkata Knight Riders spinner Sunil Narine for a suspected illegal bowling action

2 October: Sunil Narine is reported for a second time and disqualified from bowling in the Oppo CLT20 final

T20