JLT One-Day Cup 2018
Dumped Boyce eyes shock Bulls return
Axed by Tasmania, leg-spinner has returned to his home state and could vault into Queensland's one-day side
3 September 2018, 05:02 PM AEST
Cameron Boyce has returned to Queensland after a two-year stint with Tasmania, and the leg-spinner believes he still has "a lot to offer" his native state in the 50-over game.
Less than two weeks out from the beginning of the JLT One-Day Cup, Boyce has emerged as a selection bolter for the Bulls should regular spinner Mitch Swepson earn a Test squad call-up with Australia for the upcoming tour of the UAE.
Swepson's potential absence, and the recent retirement of off-spinning allrounder Jason Floros, would leave Queensland without a spinner on their senior roster, and rookie-listed left-armer Matthew Kuhnemann in the box seat to make his state debut.
Boyce however, could well loom as an attractive alternative, after the experienced leggie – who remains contracted to Melbourne Renegades in the KFC Big Bash – returned to Premier Cricket as captain of Toombul last Saturday, taking 1-59 from 10 overs.
"I've just been running my own mini pre-season, getting ready for Big Bash once it rolls around," Boyce told cricket.com.au, having returned home to Brisbane with wife Ashleigh and their 14-week-old daughter a month ago.
"I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about (playing again for Queensland). For myself now, if that was to be it, I'd be at peace with that, but 100 per cent, if they come knocking or my phone rings and they want to use me, well I'd put my hand up and say, 'I'll do it'.
"I feel like I've got a lot to offer still with the white ball, and my numbers speak for themselves with that."
Despite being Tasmania's leading wicket-taker for the past two 50-over domestic tournaments (19 wickets in total at 27.94, strike-rate 29.63), Boyce was told at the end of last summer that Cricket Tasmania were heading in a different direction. While his Sheffield Shield opportunities had been limited to three matches (four wickets at 65), the 29-year-old still felt he had plenty to contribute in List A cricket.
"It was a little bit disappointing that they didn't want me anymore, for those reasons – I felt like I had done really well in JLT (Cup) for them," he said. "I felt like I still had a lot to offer, because my numbers do stack up; I wasn't just Tassie's leading wicket-taker for the last two seasons, but I was up there for the whole competition as well (ninth in 2016, seventh in 2017).
"But they made their position clear, and that was all good, I accepted that and that's the way it was. I've been on the first-class scene for a while now, and as much as it would be great to last forever, you know it can't.
"But if the chance came to play again (with Queensland), I'd throw my hands at it."
Boyce debuted for Queensland in the 50-over format in October 2010, and played 18 List A matches with the Bulls, taking 15 wickets at 45.60.
Earmarked for higher honours from an early age, he has also played 21 times for Australia A in 50-over cricket, taking 21 wickets at 35.42.
The Toombul skipper said he was yet to speak to anyone from Queensland Cricket about a potential return, though he is well acquainted with coach Wade Seccombe.
"I know 'Chuck' (Seccombe) really well," he said. "Since I was a young guy he's always been in and around the scene. I get along with him really well and I was really happy to see he got appointed head coach the year after I left.
"He runs a tight ship and plays a good brand of cricket.
"But I haven't spoken to anyone there since I've been back. I just started back at grade cricket last week and I'm trying to do the best I can there.
"If an opportunity comes, it comes – and if it doesn't, I'm at peace with that."
Elsewhere in Brisbane Premier Cricket at the weekend, Test hopeful Joe Burns scored a century for Norths on the same day there was the opening of the Glyn Netto Nets Complex at Norths, where Burns has been honoured with a net lane named after him. Burns is Wilston Norths Juniors’ only Test cricketer to date.