Renshaw out of Test with concussion

Two helmet blows in three days bring a premature end to series for young opener

Rookie Test opener Matthew Renshaw has been withdrawn from the third Test in Sydney after suffering concussion.

Renshaw was struck on the helmet twice in three days – the first by a bouncer on day one and a second time fielding at short leg yesterday – with the latter blow causing the 20-year-old to suffer concussion and end his participation in the match after the team’s medical assessment.

Stumps day three: Saker provides update on walking wounded

"Matthew Renshaw was struck on the helmet fielding close-in on Thursday afternoon and came off complaining of a headache,” said Bupa Support Team doctor Peter Brukner.

"He rested in the dressing room and then, when we returned to the hotel, we performed concussion tests and his cognitive, balance, co-ordination and reaction times were all within normal limits.

"However, on Friday morning he was still symptomatic and so we have taken the decision to withdraw him from the match as he is suffering from concussion.

"We will continue to monitor him over the coming days and work with him to produce a gradual return to play."

Day one: Renshaw cops nasty blow on way to maiden ton

Renshaw was struck on the top of his helmet from a powerful sweep shot in the 77th over from Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Sarfraz Ahmed from the bowling of Steve O'Keefe.

Bracing for impact, Renshaw ducked and tucked his chin to his chest to present the crown of his helmet to the oncoming blow.

The Queenslander was examined by Brukner and carried on before leaving the field an over later. 

Meanwhile, Brukner also confirmed that wicketkeeper Matthew Wade will take his place on day four, after the Victorian was on the field for only two overs on Thursday before leaving the action and returning to the team hotel to recover from illness.

"Matthew Wade suffered nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea on Thursday and returned to the hotel to rest,” Brukner said.

“We administered medication and after a night's rest he is feeling much better and will take part in play on Friday."

Peter Handscomb took over the wicketkeeping duties in the absence of his state captain.

Handscomb is no stranger to standing behind the stumps having grown up as a gloveman and playing as a wicketkeeper in 14 Sheffield Shield matches for the Bushrangers.

The 25-year-old was called in to action early in his new role when he combined with Mitchell Starc to run out Pakistan opener Azhar Ali for 71.

Azhar run out after diabolical mix up