Nevill struck in face by flying bat handle

Melbourne Renegades wicketkeeper Peter Nevill walks from Adelaide Oval after being felled in freak accident that left him with badly swollen face

Melbourne Renegades wicketkeeper Peter Nevill has been taken to hospital with a suspected broken jaw after being struck by the handle of a flying bat during Monday's KFC Big Bash League match.

Nevill was standing back to the bowling of Sri Lankan seamer Thisara Perera when Adelaide Strikers captain Brad Hodge swung lustily away to the leg side, accidentally losing his grip on the bat in the process.

The piece of willow then sailed in the direction of Nevill, who was looking in the direction of the ball and was oblivious to the incoming missile.

It appeared that the top of the handle struck the 'keeper-batsman on the right jawline, catching him completely off guard and causing him immediately to tumble to the ground.

Players and medical staff quickly rushed to Nevill's aid, with immediate concern the bat handle may have struck him near his eye. Nevill was prone on the ground for a short period before sitting up as he continued to be assessed.

He was then ushered from the field with considerable swelling already visible on his face.

Nevill leaves Adelaide Oval with a swollen right side of his face // Getty
Nevill leaves Adelaide Oval with a swollen right side of his face // Getty

Nevill was taken from the Adelaide Oval to a local hospital where he was to undergo X-rays for further assesment.

It is the latest blow in a horror few weeks for the former Test wicketkeeper. Nevill was also forced to leave the field under the concussion ruling last week during the Renegades' clash with the Sydney Sixers, when an errant bounce on a return throw hit him in the head.

The throwfrom the outfield landed on the edge of a wicket being prepared next to the playing strip and unexpectedly shot up and clipped the 'keeper in the head.

Peter Nevill cops a nasty one on head

Australia captain Steve Smith, who was commentating at the time of last week's incident, explained the process of the concussion test Nevill had undertaken, describing it as a "reaction test to begin with, then a memory test". 

"We've been told that if the doctor wants you to come off and do the test, you have to do it," Smith said.

"It's a sort of memory test – you have these playing cards come up on the computer screen ... it can be a difficult test to do at the best of times.

"Each of us do a baseline test so they know our reaction times and things like that."