Edgbaston wash out

Rain washes out third ODI

The English elements conspired against Australia again as the third match of the one-day series in Birmingham was abandoned due to rain.


After winning the toss, Australia had England under early pressure at 3-59 when rain arrived to halt play one ball into the 16th over of the day-night match at Edgbaston on Wednesday.

The weather set in and Michael Clarke's side could do little but watch their hopes of taking a 2-0 series lead wash away before umpires abandoned the match just after 7pm local time (4am AEST).

The non-result means the series is effectively reduced to three matches after the first game in Leeds was washed out without a ball being bowled.

Australia's 88-run win in Manchester on Sunday gives them a 1-0 lead into the final two games of the series, to be played in Cardiff on Saturday and Southampton on Monday.

QUICK SINGLE: CA announce 2014-15 Test venues

Wicketkeeper Matthew Wade felt it was an opportunity lost for his side after the in-form Mitchell Johnson and fellow opening bowler Clint McKay caused early trouble for England.

"Really disappointing. We started really pretty well today again with Mitch and Clint so it's disappointing that the rain came in like it did," Wade said.

"The positive is we're 1-0 up and we'll be looking to push on.

"It makes the next game (in Cardiff) even bigger."

Although the tourists were a long way off winning Wednesday's match, it contributed to a frustrating tour in which their poor play at times has been compounded by bad luck with the weather.

Australia were in a winning position in the third Ashes Test in Manchester before rain ended hopes of victory while wet weather also robbed them of an outside chance of winning the final clash against England at The Oval.

Australia were also well placed to beat New Zealand in a Champions Trophy match at Birmingham in June before rain thwarted their hopes.

After rain delayed the toss by more than half an hour, Clarke sent England in to bat and their innings was off to a horror start.

Michael Carberry was run out for one in the first over after a calamitous mix-up with Kevin Pietersen.

Both openers were gone when Pietersen (six) scooped a poor shot to George Bailey off Johnson (1-20 from five overs).

Johnson, who has been in superb form in the limited overs games and is pushing for a Test recall, was unlucky not to get a second wicket with Jonathan Trott (28 not out) surviving two video reviews for lbw.

With England trying to mount a recovery, the introduction of all-rounder Adam Voges worked a treat and he had Joe Root (12) caught and bowled in his first over.

Eoin Morgan (five not out) was trying to help the hosts bounce back when the rain returned, and the abandonment leaves England with a simple equation of having to win the remaining two games in the series.

"It's a semi-final and final for us. That's the way we're going to treat it," Morgan said.