A simple case of miscommunication is the reason why Shaun Marsh opted not to review his lbw dismissal on a pulsating final day of the second Test in Bengaluru.
Marsh was out for nine in Australia’s unsuccessful pursuit of 188 at M Chinnaswamy Stadium, trapped by India speedster Umesh Yadav without offering a stroke.
Quick Single: Ashwin skittles Aussies as India level series
Marsh and non-striker Steve Smith conferred and after a brief chat Marsh walked off the field to leave Australia in trouble at 3-67 after 15 overs.
However, replays and ball tracking technology later showed Yadav’s delivery would have comfortably missed Marsh’s off-stump, with a review on the batsman’s behalf enough to save him.
Now Smith has shed some light on the mid-pitch conference after the second-drop was given out, saying he told him to review umpire Nigel Llong’s decision but his suggestion failed to hit the mark.
“In regards to Shaun’s one, we weren’t entirely sure,” Smith said after play. “I sort of said ‘go’ as in ‘go have a look at it’ and he turned around and started walking.
“I should’ve probably just put my hands up and done it.
“We saw the replay and it was missing the stumps so it would have been a nice one to have reviewed.”
By the time Marsh was given out Australia had already lost one review after Smith encouraged vice-captain David Warner to review his lbw dismissal.
Having been hit in front by off-spinner Ravi Ashwin, Warner reluctantly reviewed before ball tracking indicated the ball narrowly hit the batsman in line and shave off-stump.
“I thought it hit Davey outside the line so I said ‘go for it’,” Smith said. “Obviously it was umpire’s call on the impact and then going on to hit the stumps so that was out.”
More DRS controversy followed Smith, who was out lbw to Yadav from a ball that practically rolled along the pitch and into the skipper’s left shin.
When deciding whether or not to review the decision, Smith looked up at the away dressing room, a move that has been slammed by opposite number Virat Kohli and one Smith regrets.
“I got hit on the pad and looked down to Petey (Handscomb, the non-striker) and said ‘look up there’ and I turned around and said ‘what do you reckon?’ (to Handscomb),” Smith said.
“It was a bit of a brain fade on my behalf and I shouldn’t have done that.”
Australia were all out for 112 as India levelled the series 1-all with two Test matches to play.
Despite the 75-run defeat, Smith says he is still proud of the way his charges played over the intense four days in Bengaluru.
“When we came over here we were written off and expected to lose 4-0,” Smith said.
“But the boys have competed incredibly hard over the first two Test matches and if we can continue to do that hopefully we can get some more results go our way.
Quick Single: Smith caught up in DRS controversy
“It’s disappointing to have lost this Test match.
“The first couple of days we played some pretty good cricket and as I said before the game we were expecting India to come back hard.
“Their second innings batting, they played some good cricket.
“The partnership between (Cheteshwar) Pujara and (Ajinkya) Rahane was a really good one and gave them a reasonable lead.”
The two teams will square off again in the third Test at Ranchi starting on March 16.