Henriques released from hospital

Positive news for Australian allrounder Moises Henriques following distressing incident playing for Surrey

Australian allrounder Moises Henriques has been released from hospital following his sickening collision in the outfield with teammate Rory Burns while playing in a T20 match for Surrey.

Henriques broke his jaw in three places and will require further dental surgery, while Burns was discharged yesterday with several internal and external stitches to his head and cheek.

Surrey let cricket fans know of the latest development via their Twitter page, posting: “More good news on the lads - Moises has now been released from hospital and will see a dental specialist tomorrow. He's improving slowly!”

The positive news follows the outpouring of admiration the pair received after Burns posted a powerful photo via Twitter of him and Henriques holding hands not long after they were rushed to hospital from the ground.

It was shared millions of times around the world on various social media platforms, with most applauding Henriques and Burns for their spirit in a time of adversity.

Image Id: ~/media/1062A6E9EA8446BBB930F41510F52714

The image posted by Rory Burns on Twitter

The pair’s condition a couple of days after they crashed into each other at great pace in Arundel will no doubt be well received by their Surrey teammates and fans around the world.

Surrey’s Kevin Pietersen said players were in tears following the incident.

The distressing incident evoked sombre memories of former Surrey player Tom Maynard, who was tragically killed by a train in 2012, as the current crop broke down in the Arundel dressing room after Henriques and Burns were treated for 40 minutes on the field before being rushed away by ambulance.

“I was stood at cow corner and you could see it happening before they collided,” Kevin Pietersen told the Daily Telegraph UK.

“I kept thinking one of the guys will call. Then you think one will stop but then bang, bang. It was absolutely sickening.

“When those guys went down and did not move it hit some of our guys very hard.

Image Id: ~/media/E57098DA333C409D97D0DD6550A71F25

“There was some raw emotion clearly visible which you can understand when the team has gone through the death of a team-mate.

“When the chairman came in the dressing room and said they are going to be ok it lifted the mood but they were still very upset.”

The match was abandoned following the incident, and Pietersen says it was the right decision.

“We had lost two of our players, a lot of players were crying in the dressing room and it is only a game of cricket,” said Pietersen.

“There is more to life than cricket and the correct decision was made.”

The incident has been the talk of the cricket world and brought back painful memories of disastrous collision between Steve Waugh and Jason Gillespie in Sri Lanka in 1999.

Image Id: ~/media/BB618124DF884E07850F71B6806891EA

Steve Waugh and Jason Gillespie recover in 1999 // Getty Images