JLT Sheffield Shield 2017-18

Not nice, Garry! Lyon toasts Shield game

Test spinner confesses to cooking blunder that led to fire alarm and Shield game being temporarily halted

Louis Cameron at AB Field

15 November 2017, 08:37 PM AEST

Not nice, Garry! Lyon toasts Shield game

Test spinner Nathan Lyon has confessed to a comical culinary blunder that led to NSW's JLT Sheffield Shield match against Queensland being delayed by around 30 minutes.

Umpires suspended play on Wednesday afternoon at Allan Border Field due to a fire alarm that forced the evacuation of the Stuart Law Stand, which houses both teams, the scorers and the media.

Confused players are forced to leave AB Field in Brisbane
Confused players are forced to leave AB Field in Brisbane

Play eventually resumed before Lyon sheepishly confirmed it was he who had caused the delay, with a burnt piece of toast setting off the alarm.

"(The toast) popped up first and I wasn't happy so I put it back down and I got carried away watching the cricket," Lyon said dryly.

"It happens every second week (at home), I reckon.

"I was getting a bit bored in the changerooms.

"Steve Smith already said he's going to cover it (the fire truck call-out fee)."

Lyon confirmed he had intended to spread peanut butter on the toast before the mishap.

Play had continued for a number of deliveries despite the alarm sounding but once umpires were alerted to the evacuation, players and officials were taken from the field for safety reasons.

Perplexed players, among them Test stars Smith, Usman Khawaja and David Warner, looked on and grouped together at the edge of the outfield as two fire trucks arrived at the ground.

NSW were 4-110, needing just 18 more runs to win, when play was stopped, but the all clear was given to resume the match around 30 minutes later. NSW went on to record a six-wicket victory, the win coming just before a downpour in Brisbane that would have delayed the match even further.

It's not the first time in recent years that an evacuation at a ground has led to a halting of play.

New Zealand's Test against South Africa last March was stopped for around 15 minutes when an emergency alarm at Dunedin's University Oval forced a full venue evacuation. The fans at the ground weren't in any hurry to move along, with the majority only starting to evacuate when several fire engines pulled up outside the venue. The match resumed a short time later.

Ground evacuation halts Dunedin Test

And a fire alarm during a match in Townsville between Australia and South Africa A in August last year also led to play being temporarily halted.