Champion batsman Rahul Dravid will coach India’s Under-19 and India A teams for the next two years, ruling him out of the national head coach role left vacant by Anil Kumble last month.
Dravid has been at the helm of both units since his appointment in 2015 having retired from international cricket in January 2012 in Sydney.
Quick Single: Kohli reservations led to Kumble resignation
Under Dravid’s guidance, India A prevailed in a limited-overs tri-series against Australia A and South Africa A down under in 2015 before the Under-19 outfit reached the final of the youth World Cup a year later.
While Dravid, 44, was never mentioned as a serious contender as Kumble’s successor, his experience and gravitas in the game would be a welcome addition to any national senior team.
Three of Dravid’s teammates – Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman – have been tasked with finding the new head coach.
India captain Virat Kohli, whose "untenable" relationship with Kumble was the reason behind the former leg-spinner’s resignation, said prior to Friday’s 93-run win over the West Indies that he will only pass on his thoughts about the new coach if the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) reaches out.
"We as a team … only voice our opinions when we are asked by the BCCI to give our suggestions," Kohli told reporters in Antigua.
"That's something we respect as a team, (in the past) it's been asked together (of the team), it's not like its segregation or anything.
"That same procedure – if and when it takes place – we'll give our suggestions to the BCCI.
"The process is taking place and that is something that is in the control of the BCCI.
"We as a team are focusing on the series right now, we're not focused on anything else at the moment. Our priority is coming here and winning the series."
Acting BCCI president, Mr. CK Khanna, praised Dravid for his efforts in the role.
"Over the last two years, Rahul Dravid has been instrumental in getting young talent into the mix who have proved their worth on the big stage," Khanna said in a statement.
"We are glad to continue his services for the next two years and are sure that this is a bright sign for Indian cricket which will see many more young talents coming up in the future."