Australia vice-captain appears at Hughes Inquest on video link from South Africa
Warner: Hughes not sledged at all
David Warner has corroborated the evidence of fellow players and officials that refutes the key concerns of the family of Phillip Hughes on the second day of the inquest into the batsman's tragic death.
Warner appeared via video link from Cape Town at 7am local time, the Australia one-day vice-captain dressed in his team suit, on the second day of an expected week-long public inquest in the death of Hughes by the NSW Coroner's Court.
Warner denied the Hughes family accusations there was any "ungentlemanly" short-pitched targeting of Hughes or aggressive sledging of the batsman during the Sheffield Shield match between New South Wales and South Australia in November 2014.
Hughes was struck on the neck while batting and died in hospital two days later as a result of a traumatic basal subarachnoid haemorrhage caused by the blow.
The Hughes family have expressed some specific concerns they wish this NSW Coroner's Court inquest to address: that there was a persistent short-ball tactic used against Hughes; that Hughes was targeted in an "ungentlemanly" way by the NSW team; that he was the subject of aggressive sledging; and that there were too many short-pitched balls in the afternoon session.
Warner said Hughes "wasn't sledged at all" during the day.
The Hughes family – parents Greg and Virigina and siblings Megan and Jason – present at the inquest for the second day, shook their heads at Warner's answers.
The court had earlier heard an allegation that NSW fast bowler Doug Bollinger told the South Australian batsman "I'm going to kill youse". That allegation has been denied by all players, including Bollinger himself, and both umpires, in testimony under oath at this inquest.
Warner, a close friend and former NSW and Australia teammate with Hughes, briefly added some levity to the grim proceedings when asked if he could divulge a conversation he had with Hughes the day the batsman was struck.
"I probably can't repeat the conversation in this courtroom," a grinning Warner said.
Warner explained Hughes appeared entirely comfortable at the crease before being struck.
"He had faced 160 deliveries and was 63 at the time. He was feeling comfortable and batting like Phil did," Warner said.
"From where I was standing he was playing it pretty easy and looked well in control of everything he did."
On Monday, the Hughes family counsel, Greg Melick SC, had probed Brad Haddin on the team's tactics towards Hughes, suggesting there was a deliberate ploy after the lunch break of short-pitched bowling, which Haddin denied.
Melick cited a paragraph from Warner's written statement that the team had a plan "to bowl at or above leg stump to force Hughes onto the back foot" in the hope of getting his wicket. Haddin was forced to deny there was such a plan in a tense cross-examination.
Read more: Bollinger, Haddin on the stand
Today Warner clarified that statement saying it was a commonly-known strategy and not a specific plan.
"When you come up against Phil you have your plan on how to try and dismiss him … try to get his feet moving, get him playing back and playing forward," Warner said.
On the lunch team talk Warner said it was "not just about Phillip, just in our cricket terminology to bowl our line and lengths. It's said one minute before we walk out, just a reminder for the bowlers not to forget."
Warner was also forced to deny a suggestion from Melick that his memory of the day was "not that good" after Warner said he did not recall a Bollinger short ball hitting South Australia batsman Tom Cooper's shoulder.
Earlier, Cooper, who was batting with Hughes at the time of the incident, agreed there was more short-pitched deliveries after lunch and that it appeared a tactic to curb the run-rate, but denied he was targeted in an "ungentlemanly" manner.
Read more: Cooper testifies at Hughes inquest
Cooper also denied there was any sledging from the New South Wales bowlers and denied he had told Hughes's brother Jason that Bollinger issued the "I'm going to kill youse" sledge.
Asked about the alleged sledge by Bollinger, Cooper said: "I'm confident it didn't happen".
"If it had of happened I would have remembered it.
"It's quite personal, it would stick in your mind."
Cooper denied he had relayed Bollinger's alleged sledge under a tense cross-examination from Melick.
Melick: "Is it possible you said that and now can't recall?"
Cooper: "No."
Melick: "I suggest you actually told Jason those words and you are now denying it?"
Cooper: "No."
The inquest continues tomorrow. There are no further cricketers scheduled to be called as witnesses, with focus to turn to events staff at the SCG.