CA requests evidence on fixing claims
Al Jazeera documentary alleges foul play in Tests involving Australia in Sri Lanka and India
27 May 2018, 09:20 PM AEST
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland says there is no credible evidence linking Australian players to corruption after claims were made in a documentary against two unknown players.
Al Jazeera aired the allegations on Sunday, shining the spotlight directly on last year's drawn Test between Australia and India in Ranchi as one of several to be questioned across the world.
In the documentary, a criminal claims two unnamed Australian batsmen were paid off to bat slowly during a period of play in the Test when he calls from the ground in Ranchi.
Sutherland on Sunday called for the unedited evidence to be made available to an ICC investigation team, but stressed there was no credible evidence linking any Australian players.
Crucially, there is no time stamp on the footage, and there is no audio of any Australian player present in the documentary.
There was also no way for fixers to know which two batsmen would be batting together at any time in a match, while Australia fought out for a draw.
"Although not having been provided an opportunity to view the documentary or any raw footage, our long-standing position on these matters is that credible claims will be treated very seriously and fully investigated," Sutherland said in a statement.
"Cricket Australia will continue to fully co-operate with the ICC Anti-Corruption Unit in its review of the matter.
"Cricket Australia and the ICC take a zero-tolerance approach against anyone trying to compromise the integrity of the game.
"Neither the ICC or Cricket Australia is aware of any credible evidence linking Australian players to corruption in the game," Sutherland said in a statement.
"We urge Al Jazeera to provide all unedited materials and any other evidence to the ICC investigation team, so, if appropriate, a full and thorough investigation can be conducted."
The documentary is the same one that claimed pitches were doctored to achieve desired results at Galle International Stadium in Sri Lanka.
Australia were heavily beaten by 229 runs inside three days in 2016 at the coastal ground.
The ICC confirmed earlier this week they were aware of the allegations made in the documentary, but they have not had the chance to view the full brief of evidence used by Al Jazeera.
It's understood Cricket Australia have also contacted players this week to alert them of the allegations.
The England and Wales Cricket Board issued a statement on Sunday evening (Australian Eastern time) expressing support for their players while also stressing their disappointment in Al Jazeera's lack of cooperation.
England players were also implicated in the documentary, with allegations centering on the 2016 Chennai Test against India.
"There is nothing we have seen that would make us doubt any of our players in any way whatsoever," ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said. "The limited information we have been given has been discussed with all the England players.
"They emphatically deny the allegations, have stated categorically that the claims are false and they have our full support.
"ECB had been aware of the planned Al Jazeera documentary for some time but have not been given the full content. There have been repeated requests for any evidence and unedited materials to be shared with the ICC so they can fully investigate.
"We, like other member Boards, are disappointed that Al Jazeera have not been more cooperative and responsible when making such serious allegations."