Steve Smith has confirmed that he will not appeal Cricket Australia's sanctions suspending him from international and Australian domestic cricket for the next 12 months.
Smith, who is also precluded from holding any leadership position within the national side for a further 12 months after his playing ban elapses, took to social media on Wednesday afternoon to make the announcement.
The former Test skipper is the first of the trio banned in the wake of the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal to confirm he won't appeal.
"I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country," Smith wrote.
"But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as Captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the sanctions.
"They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them."
I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country. But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as Captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the sanctions. They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them.— Steve Smith (@stevesmith49) April 4, 2018
David Warner, who has had a lifetime leadership ban imposed on him to go with his 12-month playing ban, and Cameron Bancroft (nine-month suspension) are yet to announce whether they will contest their charges.
CA has confirmed hearings over the level-three charges and/or sanctions issued to Smith, Warner and Bancroft would take place - if needed - on Wednesday week.
All three have sought legal advice on whether to challenge their bans and Warner in particular is understood to be particularly keen to put his case to an independent code-of-conduct commissioner.
The trio's suspensions do permit them to play Premier Cricket.
CA's code of conduct dictates that players can accept sanctions at any point "prior to the commencement of the hearing".
CA has made it clear its sanctions aren't for ball tampering, rather conduct "contrary to the spirit of the game", "unbecoming of a representative", that "could be harmful to the interests of cricket and/or ... brought the game of cricket into disrepute".
The International Cricket Council's maximum punishment for ball tampering is a one-Test ban.
"If they do take that to appeal, that's a good, proper legal process," CA chief executive James Sutherland said last week.
"As a course of natural justice under our code, players have the right."
Smith arrived back in Australia on Thursday after being stripped of the captaincy and broke down in his press conference at Sydney Airport, admitting the scandal was a failure of his leadership.
"I want to, as captain of the Australian cricket team, I take full responsibility," he said. "I made a serious error in judgement.
"It was a failure of leadership, my leadership.
"I will do everything I can to make up for my mistake and the damage it’s caused.
"If any good is to come from this it can be a lesson for others and I hope I can be a force for change.
"I know I’ll regret this for the rest of my life. I’m absolutely gutted."